Sunday, October 9, 2011

October 9th, 20011


                                                  

Hello everyone,


Last week I did not update my blog because I was at an AdvanceEd Conference. I am so excited to put into place things I learned, either in my classroom or with our school for School Improvement.





Owl Prowl: Thank you for sending in your response forms. Just one last reminder that the Owl Prowl will be held on Tuesday, October 18th at 6:00 pm at St. Pat's Park. If you signed up to contribute anything for the dinner, I will be sending reminder slips home on Wednesday or Thursday. Mr. Glassman will be visiting our room on Monday, October 17th to teach 3rd grade about Owls of Indiana. At that time, we will give him the money you all donated. Then in Science on Tuesday we will be dissecting owl pellets. The kids always find this really interesting.


Here is the what is coming up this week:

Reading:  We will be reading a story called "Dream Wolf". It a wonderful Native American folktale. I have been reminding the class that they are to be reading their stories on Monday evening with an adult. I suggest that either you read a page and your child read a page or you read a paragraph and your child read a paragraph. This really helps boost comprehension, helps with sounding out tough words, and helps with reading fluency. I have noticed that my class needs to work on pausing at commas and stopping at periods. Please listen for this at home and help reinforce it.  

Language:  I am hoping to continue working on our personal narratives we began a couple of weeks ago.

Math: Keep practicing those addition and subtraction basic math facts for speed and accuracy. Flash cards are always a good tool. There is a link on the left side of my blog for www.superkids.com
Here you can create worksheets and print them off for timed tests at home.

Science:  Last week, both science classes tallied their recycling survey. This week the children are going to take their data and create bar graphs. This was a great way to teach them how to collect data and show the results.



Whew! Have a great week, and I can't wait to all of you at the Owl Prowl next week.